Auto Accident Attorney
We know that injuries and car accidents can affect people’s whole lives — we fight to give car accident victims back their lives. Our firm investigates the causes and factors that lead to accidents to establish responsibility, so that when the insurance companies call on you, you will be fully prepared on how to handle things. We will work with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case to make sure all your needs are handled quickly and appropriately. You don’t have to be confused about what to do after a car accident: put Slocumb Law Firm on your side.
Your auto accident doesn’t have to stop you from seeking justice
Automobile accidents are, unfortunately, very common and can change the life of the victim forever. Car wrecks can result in passenger injuries such as whiplash, broken bones, or spinal cord injury. If you or someone you love has been hurt due to negligent driver behavior, such as drunk driving or texting while driving, this is no time to leave your future to chance.
Slocumb Law Firm will represent you if you’ve been in accidents, collisions or crashes due to defective products on design in automobiles or trucks, such as defective tires or seatbelts. Even a minor accident like a rear-end collision may result in thousands of dollars or repairs or medical bills.
Getting your medical bills paid after your car accident
Generally, medical bills are not paid until the time your case is settled. However, if you have Personal Injury Protection or Medical Payments Coverage under your automobile insurance policy, you may be able to pay your medical bills as they are incurred by making a claim against your own coverage. Also, if you have health insurance, your medical bills may be paid as incurred by your health insurance company.
If the other driver is at fault and has liability insurance, you may have the right to collect money damages to compensate you for your past and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and physical impairment. If the at-fault driver does not have insurance, you may be entitled to collect money damages from your own insurance company if you purchased Uninsured Motorist Insurance Coverage.
Insurance companies and car accidents
As soon as your own car insurance company and the insurance company of the person who caused the car accident are notified, each of them will want information for different reasons.
Before submitting to any recorded statement by an insurance adjuster or investigator, even if the other person’s liability seems obvious, it is wise to contact Slocumb Law Firm for direction and advice on how to proceed. This is especially important in cases where the law was broken, such as a drunk driving accident.
The insurance company is a business that thrives on a victim’s confusion, thus it is important that you ensure your rights are protected. Of course, not every auto accident will or should result in a claim. For a variety of reasons, the decision to pursue the claim should be made only when an injury and medical expenses have been sustained. Slocumb Law Firm can help you file a claim against your insurance company.
Do you have enough car insurance coverage?
It is important to determine whether you have proper insurance because you never know when you might be involved in an accident. Since the laws and rates affecting insurance companies change frequently in each state, you should make sure that you are covered in all areas to protect yourself and your family. It is not a good idea to rely solely on the advice of your agent since he may have certain incentives to not provide coverage you really need.
Call Slocumb Law Firm to speak with a Washington DC personal injury attorney who will review what your automobile insurance covers.
Making a claim against an insurance company
The decision to make a claim against an insurance company generally should be based upon the fault of the other driver and the extent of injuries and damages you suffered as a result.
What To Do After You’ve Been In A Car Accident
When a motor vehicle accident occurs, it is easy to become confused and forget to acquire necessary information. Even a minor accident such as a rear-end collision can leave people nervous and shaken.
Keep this checklist of steps to take and questions to ask in case of an accident in your glove compartment or console in the same folder as your insurance papers. You may want to add important contact information and phone numbers as well.
When you are involved in a car accident:
- Notify the police.
- If anyone if hurt, tell the police you need medical assistance.
- If anyone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, tell the police.
- Collect the following information from those involved in the accident (including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and witnesses):
- Full names
- Phone numbers
- License plate numbers
- Make and model of cars
- Insurance status of drivers
- Name of person to whom vehicle is registered
- Make notes about the accident including how the accident occurred (direction of the vehicles), time of day, weather conditions, damage to vehicles, names and badge numbers of the police officers who came to the scene, if any vehicles were towed from the scene.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene, including street signs, skid marks, damage to vehicles and weather conditions. If you do not have a camera and you contact Slocumb Law Firm, we may be able to take photos for you.
Seek medical help. Even if you were not directly injured in the accident, be aware that sometimes injuries, such as whiplash, do not appear for a few days after the accident.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. If you feel that, for any reason, your insurance company may not be willing to cover the accident, contact Slocumb Law Firm before you call your insurance company. Do not answer any questions or make statements to the other drivers’ insurance company before speaking to a lawyer.
Questions to ask those involved in the car accident:
- Is anyone injured?
- Damage to vehicles: Was there damage to vehicles prior to accident (including non-functioning brake lights)? Were any vehicles company-owned?
- Are you insured?
- Is anyone taking blame for the accident?
Contact us after your car accident
Let us represent you. Call or e-mail our personal injury lawyers today to get a consultation on your car accident claim. Call 1-800-HURTLINE and make an appointment today.