Charleston Motorcycle Wreck Lawyers Detail the Different Types of Crashes
Injured in a Charleston motorcycle accident? Get a lawyer on your side
A lot of people pigeonhole bikers as reckless thrill-seekers who crash their motorcycles and get injured due to their own negligence. While some bikers may very well be irresponsible, our Charleston motorcycle accident lawyers know that most riders follow the rules of the road and operate their bikes in a safe manner. Unfortunately, a lot of motorcycle wrecks happen due to the negligence of others, resulting in significant injury and in some tragic cases, a fatality.
One study revealed that about 4 out of every 5 motorcycle accidents result in injury or death, compared to about 1 in 5 accidents involving passenger vehicles. That shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, considering how exposed bikers are when they're out riding. Still, bikers have just as much a right to the road as everyone else, and there's no good excuse to injure someone in a motorcycle accident. If you or a loved one have been injured after wrecking a bike in a crash caused by someone else, our Charleston motorcycle accident attorneys can help you seek compensation from the responsible party. Contact a lawyer from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm in Charleston today for a free consultation.
What type of crash were you in? Our motorcycle wreck lawyers can help
Whether you were taking a road trip on Route 119 or cruising along Kanawha Boulevard, getting into a motorcycle accident in Charleston can have disastrous consequences. Through no fault of your own, your bike could be destroyed and you could be left facing a long road toward recovery from the injuries you sustained in the wreck.
Motorcycle accidents happen in Charleston and across the nation for a lot of different reasons, but the majority of crashes that involve motorcycles and passenger vehicles occur because other vehicles fail to yield to motorcycles. That constitutes negligence, which means the person who failed to yield would be at-fault for the crash and legally responsible for compensation.
Motorcycle accidents also happen frequently when other motorists simply fail to recognize there's a biker in traffic. This is also usually due to negligence, commonly by distracted drivers who are texting or using their smartphones. People who are speeding, driving while fatigued, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or otherwise driving irresponsibly often don't realize they're about to hit a biker until it's too late.
Some of the more common ways bikers get into wrecks with other motorists include:
- Left-turn accidents: In this type of collision, a vehicle that is making a left-hand turn cuts in front of a biker's path, resulting in a T-bone or side impact crash that can have devastating results and cause nasty injuries. If you've been hurt in this type of crash, our attorneys can help you obtain compensation.
- Lane change accidents: This kind of crash happens when a vehicle changes from one lane to another and crashes into the side of an unsuspecting biker, causing a wreck and in many cases, major injury. It can also happen when attempting to merge. Our Charleston motorcycle accident lawyers have heard plenty of excuses from people who caused lane change collisions that resulted in significant injuries to bikers. Whether they "didn't see them" or the biker "came out of nowhere," our attorneys don't think there is a good excuse to recklessly change lanes or merge and injure a biker.
- Rear-end collisions: Bikers who get rear-ended by careless drivers or who crash into the rear of reckless motorists are at serious risk of getting ejected from their bikes and sustaining considerable injuries. A driver who cuts off a biker and doesn't give them enough time to brake or someone who doesn't slow down enough to stop for a bike in front of them should have to answer for their negligence, and an attorney from our Charleston legal team can help.
- Dooring accidents: When someone who is inside a parked or stopped vehicle opens a door without making sure there isn't a biker approaching, dooring accidents can happen and cause substantial injury to the biker. Just like a rear-end collision, a dooring crash can eject a biker and their passenger from the motorcycle and result in a life-altering injury. If you were hurt in a dooring collision, our lawyers can answer your questions and help you explore your legal options.
- Single-vehicle crashes: Whether it was due to defective parts that resulted in a mechanical malfunction, defective tires, or poorly-maintained roads, a single-vehicle motorcycle crash isn't always the biker's fault. If you've been injured in a wreck caused by faulty bike parts or by traveling on roads that have been inadequately maintained, contact our Charleston motorcycle accident attorneys as soon as possible.
- Head-on collisions: Thousands of bikers die in crashes every year in the U.S., and when it comes to accidents with other vehicles, head-on collisions make up the majority of fatal accidents involving motorcycles. A head-on collision between a biker and another motorist can happen if another driver crosses the center lane and crashes into the biker. These types of collisions happen frequently with people who are texting and driving, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, asleep at the wheel/fatigued driving, speeding, or otherwise driving irresponsibly. If you are the family member of a loved one who was killed in a fatal motorcycle wreck, our Charleston motorcycle accident lawyers can help you look into your legal options.
Get a Charleston motorcycle accident attorney to handle your claim
Having a crash between your bike and another vehicle is unfortunate and can cause you stress, frustration, and serious harm. You could be left with substantial repair bills for your bike and a considerable amount of medical expenses for your injuries, all because another driver was negligent and caused a collision.
If that weren't enough, insurance companies often think of bikers in a cliché way and assume all who get into crashes did so due to their own careless actions. Our Charleston motorcycle accident attorneys are sick and tired of bikers getting painted with a broad brush as irresponsible and reckless. Our lawyers have seen injured bikers struggle with insurance companies to get compensation that's fair and deserved, and we don't think it's right.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle wreck caused by someone else, our Charleston motorcycle accident lawyers can help you recover damages for bike repairs, medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and more. Don't let the insurance company treat you poorly just because you ride a motorcycle. Take a stand and fight back with the help of a Charleston motorcycle accident attorney. Contact a lawyer from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm in Charleston today for a free consultation.