What To Do After A Car Accident In Denver
The steps you need to take at the scene of a crash – from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm
Knowing what to do after a car accident in Denver can be confusing. Even knowing what your rights are in Colorado might not be clear. That’s why it’s critical that you talk with a Denver car accident lawyer who understands the law and knows how the system works. That’s why we want to meet with you at the Mike Slocumb Law Firm as soon as possible.
One of our experienced attorneys can explain how the legal process works and what needs to be done after your car accident. And if you have any questions, you can ask one of our lawyers during your free case evaluation. That’s what we’re here for – to help you every step of the way after your car accident. Simply contact our Denver office and schedule an appointment today.
‘What should I do after my Denver car accident?’
If another driver clearly caused your accident, there are certain steps you should take to protect your rights and demand the financial compensation you rightly deserve. These steps include:
- Contact the police – Whether you’re still at the scene of the accident or recovering several days later, make sure you contact the police right away. Tell them you have been in an accident caused by another driver. And if you’re still at the accident scene, ask them to respond to your Denver car accident. Having an official accident report can often make a dramatic difference in the outcome of your legal case.
- Get medical care – Have an emergency medical technician (EMT) or a doctor examine you right away. Even if you feel fine, you could have a life-threatening internal injury. And if you accident occurred several days ago, it’s never too late to have a medical professional examine you and diagnose whether there’s anything wrong.
- Gather information – If you’re at the scene of the accident, get the other driver’s personal information. This includes:
- Driver’s name
- Driver’s home address
- Driver’s phone number
- Driver’s insurance information
- Don’t discuss the accident – While it may be tempting to talk about your accident with the other driver, it’s important to understand that anything you say could be used by the other driver’s insurance company to deny your accident claim. Even something as simple as “I’m sorry” could be used as evidence to deny your claim.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your Denver car accident, make sure you or the police get the witnesses’ full name, address and phone number. That way, the police or anyone else investigating your accident can talk to the witnesses in the future. Eyewitness testimony can be a powerful piece of evidence.
- Take pictures – If you’re healthy enough to do so, take pictures of your Denver car accident. Make sure to get details, such as:
- Damage to either vehicle
- Road signs near accident
- Skid marks on road caused by crash
- Hazardous weather conditions (snow, ice, etc.)
- Contact the insurance company – Tell your insurance company you have been in a car accident caused by another driver. However, keep your comments brief at this point. Depending on the circumstances of your car accident, you may need to file a claim with your own insurance company. And sometimes, such cases can become difficult. Don’t say anything your insurance company could use to deny your claim.
- Don’t talk to other driver’s insurance company – The other driver’s insurance company will likely contact you soon after your accident. You do not have to – and should not – talk to them. While their questions might seem straightforward or simple, they’re likely simply looking for information they can use to deny your accident claim.
- Carefully consider settlement offers – The other driver’s insurance company may also make an offer to settle your car accident claim. While it may be tempting to accept their offer, the reality is many settlement offers don’t even come close to covering all your accident-related expenses. We can review any settlement offers you receive and advise on what to do. We have your best interests at heart.
- Avoid social media – Some people are tempted to write about their accident on social media. The problem is when they do, the other driver’s insurance company may use such statements to deny your car accident claim. That’s why it’s always best to be cautious and not say or write anything about your accident.
- Contact our law firm – One of our experienced, Denver car accident lawyers can help you every step of the way – from filling out forms to reviewing your accident report for accuracy to negotiating with the at-fault driver’s insurance company on your behalf. Whatever needs to be done, you can count on our legal team to be there for you.
Don’t underestimate the seriousness of your car accident. And don’t wait to take legal action. In most cases, you only have three years from the date of your crash crash to file a lawsuit or take other legal action. That deadline (known as the statute of limitations) might seem like a long time. But the reality is the longer you wait, the harder it often becomes to find the evidence your need to build a strong legal case.
Get the law firm that gets results. The Mike Slocumb Law fights for you
This may be your only opportunity for justice. And if you don’t take legal action, you may end up having to pay for your accident-related expenses yourself. That’s not right. That’s why we want to help. Contact our Denver law firm and schedule your free case evaluation. One of our experienced, Denver car accident lawyers can answer your legal actions and explain your options.
The Mike Slocumb Law Firm – we know what’s at stake and we know how to win.