Limousines are a common form of transportation for special events and celebrations in Alabama. Passengers place their trust and lives into the hands of limo company operators and drivers.
Since limousine companies must meet strict federal standards, accidents involving these vehicles are quite rare. However, when they happen, lives can be put in jeopardy.
Limo accident attributed to poor vehicle maintenance
That's exactly what happened in a recent limo crash in Upstate New York that took the lives of 20 people. The crash occurred after the limo blew through a stop sign and crashed into a parked SUV - killing two pedestrians. The 18 limo occupants, including the driver, died in the crash. The accident was regarded as the deadliest since 2005.
An investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found two factors that likely caused the crash:
- The limousine company operators were highly negligent in ensuring that the vehicles are safe to drive. Four vehicles were taken out of service after failing inspections in recent years. Moreover, the vehicle involved in the crash wasn't supposed to be on the road, as it had failed inspection only a month prior. The wife of the limo driver even stated that her husband previously complained about the safety of the vehicles.
- The intersection where the fatal crash occurred previously raised concerns among locals. It was reconstructed after a deadly crash in 2008 but hasn't yet proven to be safe. Since it's reconstruction, three trucks have blown through the stop sign and nearly caused serious collisions.
The operator of the limo company also allegedly hired a driver who wasn't properly licensed. He was arrested and charged with criminally negligent homicide.
Holding negligent limo operators accountable
We may not often hear about limousine accidents. In fact, there were only 12 fatalities involving limousines nationwide between 2012 and 2016. But that doesn't mean that they're not likely to happen.
If you sustained an injury in a crash involving a limousine, it's important that you speak to an experienced Alabama auto accident attorney as soon as possible. We can launch a thorough investigation and find out the following:
- Did the company's vehicle's fail inspection?
- Did the company violate federal guidelines?
- Was the driver impaired, distracted, inexperienced, drowsy, or driving recklessly?
- Were there any other vehicles involved?
You can count on us to piece the evidence together and fight to hold negligent parties accountable. Contact Mike Slocumb Law Firm today and find out how we can help you.