"What should I do if I'm hurt in a Washington, DC motorcycle wreck?"
Our motorcycle accident lawyers provide helpful tips to injured bikers
Even if you're the most experienced biker, you can get into a motorcycle accident that leaves you severely injured, in shock, and unsure of your future. Our Washington, DC motorcycle accident lawyers realize what you're going through and want to help. We are compassionate, understanding, and will work tirelessly to bring you justice and get the compensation you're entitled to. If you've been injured in a motorcycle wreck, you may be able to file a claim for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and more. Contact the Mike Slocumb Law Firm today for a free consultation.
Steps to take if you're hurt in a Washington, DC motorcycle accident
Our Washington, DC motorcycle crash attorneys recommend you take the following steps if you've been in a motorcycle wreck:
- Get out of the road: Make sure you're not going to get hit by another vehicle after your motorcycle crash and move to a safe place. If you can, you should also move your bike out of the road, but only if it's safe and clear to do so.
- Get medical treatment: Your health and wellbeing are most important, so if you've sustained any kind of injury, it's critical that you get checked out by a doctor or EMT (emergency medical technician). Even if you don't have any noticeable injuries, it's still wise to get examined by a doctor. You may have life-threatening internal damage and not even realize it.
- Report the crash to police: Motorcycle wrecks can be complex, so it's important to have police called to the scene of your crash to help sort things out. Having an official, Washington, DC accident report will also serve as a critical piece of evidence if you try to obtain compensation through a claim.
- Get the other driver's information: You'll want to make sure to get the other driver's full name, license and registration number, insurance details, and contact information.
- Gather evidence: Write down all the facts surrounding your motorcycle wreck, including the time and location of the crash, weather conditions, and any relevant traffic signs. Take pictures of the crash scene and include the damage to both your motorcycle and the other vehicle. If anyone has injuries, take pictures of those, as well. If there were any witnesses, be sure to get their full names and contact information.
- Call your insurance company: Let them know that you were injured in a motorcycle wreck, but don't go into too much detail. Anything you say to the insurance company can be used against you to reduce or deny your claim. This is especially true with bikers, who have a negative stereotype with insurance companies as reckless thrill-seekers. If another driver's insurance company contacts you, politely refer them to an attorney from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm and tell them you have nothing to say.
- Get a motorcycle accident lawyer in your corner: Our Washington, DC motorcycle accident lawyers know exactly what to do to build a strong case that the insurance company won't be able to ignore. If they won't cooperate, we aren't scared to take them to court.
A Washington, DC motorcycle accident lawyer can get you compensation
Getting injured in a motorcycle crash can be a life-changing event. Often serious and sometimes fatal, motorcycle collisions can be tough to recover from and cause both physical and emotional trauma. When you're injured and trying to recover, you shouldn't be subjected to harassment by greedy insurance companies trying to pressure you into accepting a lowball settlement offer. Remember, insurance companies are a business, and they don't profit by handing out large settlements. They'll do everything in their power to get you to settle because they know if they can get you to accept their offer, they'll end up saving on their bottom line. Take a stand and fight back with the help of a Washington, DC motorcycle accident lawyer. Contact the Mike Slocumb Law Firm today for a free consultation.