"What should I do if I'm hurt in a Washington, DC truck crash?"
Helpful tips from our Washington, DC truck accident lawyers
Getting into a truck accident can leave you confused, shaken, and hurt. That's why so many injured drivers choose to hire a Washington, DC truck accident lawyer to answer their questions, advocate for their needs, and demand accountability from those who are responsible for the crash. If you've been hurt or a loved one was killed in a collision with a big rig, we can get you the compensation you need and deserve. You may be able to file a claim for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and more. Contact the Mike Slocumb Law Firm today for a free consultation.
Steps to take if you're hurt in a Washington, DC truck accident
Our Washington, DC truck accident lawyers recommend you take the following steps if you've been injured in a collision with a tractor-trailer:
- See a medical professional: Even if you feel fine, you may have serious internal damage or another injury with symptoms that won't be immediately noticeable. Make sure to have a doctor or EMT (emergency medical technician) examine you and anyone else involved in the truck crash to make sure you aren't hurt. Never try to diagnose yourself. Your health and wellbeing should be a top priority, and if you're injured, you need treatment.
- Call the police: Accidents involving 18-wheelers and cars are often complex and require a thorough investigation to determine what happened. An official Washington, DC police report detailing what happened in the crash and how people got injured can be extremely useful when trying to obtain compensation for your damages.
- Get the truck driver's information: Be sure to get the driver's full name, license number, insurance information, contact information, and the name/contact info of their employer.
- Collect evidence: Note all the details surrounding your accident, including the time and location of the crash, what the weather was like, any relevant traffic signs or signals, and anything the other driver said to you that may be useful down the road. Take photos of all the vehicles involved and any injury suffered by you or anyone else in the crash. If there were any witnesses, get their names and contact info in case they're willing to testify down the road.
- Notify your insurance company: Let your insurance company know as soon as possible that you've been hurt in an accident with an 18-wheeler, but don't give too many details and don't say anything that could be used against you when trying to file a claim in the future. It would be nice if your own insurance company had your best interests in mind, but the sad reality is they are a business and don't make profits by handing out large settlements, even when they're justified to do so. If another insurance carrier contacts you, politely tell them that you have nothing to say and refer them to your lawyer. They, too, will also use anything you say against you down the road.
- Hire a truck accident lawyer: When you hire an attorney from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm, you're getting a proven winner who has a track record of winning cases for injured drivers. Let our Washington, DC truck crash lawyers handle the insurance companies and demand compensation that's fair. If that doesn't work, we're just as comfortable taking the battle to the courtroom to get you what you deserve.
Take strong action with a Washington, DC truck accident attorney
When you've been injured in a collision with a big rig, you shouldn't have to anxiously await ridiculous settlement offers from greedy insurance companies who just want you to accept their offer as quickly as possible so they can get rid of you as quickly as possible. Insurance companies know that if you get a knowledgeable Washington, DC truck accident lawyer in your corner, fighting for your rights, they'll have to give you compensation that's fair for your damages. Accident victims who don't hire lawyers to represent them are prone to getting taken advantage of by the insurance company and tricked into settling for less than they deserve. Worse yet, another driver could try to say the collision was your fault and try to hold you accountable for all damages. Take a stand and fight back with the help of the Mike Slocumb Law Firm. Call today for a free consultation.