Birmingham Car Accident Lawyers
Car Accidents in Jefferson & Shelby Counties
Every single day, thousands of people are injured and killed in car accidents nationwide. In Alabama, you may be entitled to financial compensation if someone else caused the crash that led to your injuries or the tragic loss of your loved one. While no amount of money can undo the immense pain and suffering you have experienced, a successful personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit can not only provide the monetary resources you need to manage unexpected financial losses but also the sense of justice you need to heal.
At Mike Slocumb Law Firm, our Birmingham car accident lawyers represent injured victims and the families of those wrongfully killed in Jefferson County, Shelby County, and all of the surrounding areas. We understand how complex these cases can be, as well as the unique challenges you are facing. Most importantly, we know how to protect your rights and fight back against the insurance company’s efforts to dispute or deny your claim. Our team is here to help you fight for the full, fair compensation you are owed so that you can get back on your feet and move forward with your life.
On This Page:
- What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
- Do You Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
- How Alabama’s Rule of Contributory Negligence Could Affect Your Claim
- Talk To Our Car Accident Attorneys Today
After a serious car accident, call the team at Mike Slocumb Law Firm to learn how we can fight for you. Reach us at (205) 236-2502 or use our online contact form.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Generally speaking, most car accidents are the direct or indirect result of negligence. Most often, it is other drivers on the road whose negligence leads to devastating crashes, injuries, and deaths. However, in some cases, third parties—such as pedestrian, cyclists, trucking companies, manufacturers, and even government agencies—may behave carelessly or wrongfully. At Mike Slocumb Law Firm, we know how to investigate car accidents to determine the cause, as well as who is liable.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Texting and other forms of distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fatigued driving
- Traffic law violations
- Disobeying stop signs, signals, and other traffic control devices
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Making unsafe or illegal turns
- Changing lanes or passing unlawfully
- Aggressive driving
- Poorly maintained roadways
- Defective road design, construction, or maintenance
- Auto defects
- Third-party negligence
We often work with industry experts, such as accident reconstructionists, to understand exactly how a collision occurred. This, in turn, allows us to identify the liable party and immediately begin building a case against them. We utilize all available evidence to aggressively advocate for our clients and the maximum compensation they are owed.
Do You Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
While it is not mandatory to hire a lawyer, it is highly recommended to do so for several reasons:
- Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming. From gathering evidence, dealing with insurance companies, negotiating settlements, to understanding complex legal procedures, it can be a complex and time-consuming process. Having our experienced car accident lawyers by your side can alleviate this burden and allow you to focus on your recovery.
- Insurance companies are profit-driven entities that often prioritize their bottom line over your best interests. They may try to undervalue or deny your claim altogether, leaving you without the compensation you deserve. Our skilled car accident attorneys know how to navigate the tactics used by insurance companies, ensuring that your rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
- Our attorneys bring a wealth of legal expertise and negotiation skills to the table. They have a deep understanding of personal injury laws, court procedures, and case precedents. This knowledge allows them to build a strong case on your behalf, maximizing your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome, whether through negotiation or in the courtroom.
Ultimately, while you may not be required to hire a lawyer for a car accident, having professional representation can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. It ensures that your rights are safeguarded, your case is handled efficiently, and you receive the compensation you deserve. Schedule a consultation with our skilled Birmingham car accident lawyers today to discuss the specifics of your case and understand how we can help you navigate this challenging process.
I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life.
“I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life. David and Mike were like Angels to me. I didn’t know if I would ever walk again.”
Mr. Gracie handled my case, he was superb.
“Mr. Gracie is really, really experienced and an exceptional lawyer.”
I Couldn't Have Been Happier
“My case was actually settled earlier than projected and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome.”
“I dealt with Lowell Moore here and I’ll recommend him to anyone, anytime! The defining factor was his communication... I was able to always deal with Lowell firsthand about any questions or concerns I had.”
“Attorney Lowell Moore was awesome in the whole process! He kept us included in every move made for our accident/injury case. Never had an issue with communication and he really showed us he cares about his clients!!!”
Although some accidents are caused by just one person’s careless or reckless conduct, many are the result of multiple parties’ mistakes. Unfortunately, when it comes to shared fault, Alabama follows a very strict rule known as the “rule of contributory negligence.”
Under the rule of contributory negligence, you may not recover any compensation for your accident-related damages if you are found to be even slightly to blame for the crash. Even if you are just one percent at fault, you are barred from filing a personal injury claim. To make matters worse, insurance adjusters are the first ones responsible for assigning blame. They know how to use the rule of contributory negligence to unjustly deny claims and may argue that you were partly at fault for the crash—even if you weren’t.
Because of this, it is extremely important that you work with an experienced car accident attorney, like those at Mike Slocumb Law Firm. Our team can stand up for your rights against the best interests of the insurance company. We are fully prepared to take your case to court, if necessary, and our aggressive approach to litigation has helped us recover more than half a billion dollars in compensation for our clients. We have the resources, skill, and experience to fight tirelessly for you.
Whether you were involved in a rear-end collision, or your loved one was tragically killed by a drunk driver, turn to the team at Mike Slocumb Law Firm for help seeking the justice you deserve. Our experienced Birmingham car accident lawyers are here to answer your questions and provide the information you need to make empowered decisions about your recovery and your future.
We offer compassionate and personalized legal representation, as well as aggressive advocacy both in and out of the courtroom. After a serious car, truck, or motorcycle accident, you can count on us to fight for every penny you are owed.
Call (205) 236-2502 or contact us online for a free consultation. Hablamos español.
Birmingham, AL (Downtown)
2 20th Street N,
Birmingham, AL 35203 [+] Map & Directions
Birmingham, AL (Blue Lake)
3500 Blue Lake Dr.,
Birmingham, AL 35243 [+] Map & Directions