200 E Randoplh St.,
Chicago, IL 60601 [+] Map & Directions
Chicago Car Accident Lawyers
Car Accidents in Illinois
Every year, Chicago is home to thousands of motor vehicle accidents. Many of these accidents result in extensive property damage, serious bodily injury, and death. For victims, the road to healing can be long, painful, and financially challenging—but they don’t have to navigate this road on their own.
If you were involved in a car accident, and you believe someone else was at fault, you could be entitled to financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and other damages. At Mike Slocumb Law Firm, we have a long, proven track record of success in helping accident victims and their families fight for the full, fair compensation they are owed. To date, we have recovered more than $500 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients; reach out to us today to learn how our Chicago car accident attorneys can help you with your case.
Call (888) 302-3669 for a free consultation, or submit a free online case evaluation form to get started. Hablamos español.
What Is the Most Common Cause of Car Accidents?
Generally speaking, negligence is the most common cause of car accidents. More broadly, this negligence can take many forms, from driver error to poorly maintained roadways.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of car accidents that can be attributed to negligence include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Traffic violations
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Unsafe or illegal turns
- Unlawful passing
- Running red lights or stop signs
- General carelessness or inexperience
- Auto defects, including defective vehicle design
- Defective road design or construction
- Insufficient road maintenance
By determining the cause of the crash, our attorneys can identify who is liable for your damages. We work with teams of accident reconstructionists and other experts to obtain a clear picture of what happened and who is responsible for your resulting injuries and losses. When it comes to maximizing your auto accident claim, we leave no stone unturned and no possible avenue of compensation unexplored.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, there are several things you should do to protect yourself, your rights, and your future injury claim.
To the best of your ability, try to do the following after the accident:
- Seek medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor or if you believe yourself to be uninjured. If necessary, call 911 and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
- Contact the police and have them come to the scene of the accident. Be honest when making your police report, but avoiding saying anything that could be construed as admitting fault.
- Get the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver/people involved. You should also note the make, model, and color of the other vehicle.
- Talk to any witnesses who may have seen what happened. Get their names, contact information, and a brief statement of what they saw.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle, and your injuries. As soon as possible, write down everything you can remember about what happened.
- Notify your insurance company about the accident right away. However, avoid talking to anyone from the other person’s insurance company as much as possible.
- Do not provide any statements, accept a settlement, or sign anything the other insurance company gives you until you have spoken to an attorney.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan and recommendations, including attending follow-up appointments and taking all prescribed medication.
- Avoid discussing the accident with friends, family members, and coworkers. Do not post about the incident on social media.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney who can immediately begin protecting your rights and working to recover a fair settlement on your behalf.
The steps you take in the immediate and ongoing aftermath of the accident play a large role in the success of your future personal injury claim. One of the best things you can do is to work with a car accident lawyer who can communicate with the insurance adjuster and build a persuasive case on your behalf.
I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life.
“I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life. David and Mike were like Angels to me. I didn’t know if I would ever walk again.”
Mr. Gracie handled my case, he was superb.
“Mr. Gracie is really, really experienced and an exceptional lawyer.”
I Couldn't Have Been Happier
“My case was actually settled earlier than projected and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome.”
“I dealt with Lowell Moore here and I’ll recommend him to anyone, anytime! The defining factor was his communication... I was able to always deal with Lowell firsthand about any questions or concerns I had.”
“Attorney Lowell Moore was awesome in the whole process! He kept us included in every move made for our accident/injury case. Never had an issue with communication and he really showed us he cares about his clients!!!”
Can You File a Car Accident Claim If You Were Partly at Fault?
Under Illinois’ modified comparative fault system, you can file a claim after a car accident if you were partly at fault for the crash. However, you must prove that you were no more than 50% at fault for the accident to still be eligible for compensation.
Additionally, if you are found to be partly at fault, the amount you can recover in damages will be reduced by your at-fault percentage. So, for example, if you were injured after being hit by someone who ran a red light, but you were going five miles over the posted speed limit when the accident occurred, the insurance adjuster and/or court might find you 10% to blame. If you suffered $10,000 in damages, you would only be eligible to recover up to 90% of that amount, or $9,000.
Being found partly at fault can reduce your recovery by thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. It is very important that you work with an experienced car accident attorney, like those at Mike Slocumb Law Firm, to ensure your rights are protected and that the insurance company does not try to unfairly devalue your claim.
Request a Free Case Evaluation with Our Car Accident Team Today
After a serious accident or injury, reach out to Mike Slocumb Law Firm for help with your personal injury claim. Our Chicago car accident attorneys have extensive experience representing the rights of injured accident victims and have recovered more than half a billion dollars in compensation for their clients. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you do not owe us any attorney fees or litigation-related costs unless we recover a settlement or verdict for you.
Injured in a car crash in Chicago or the surrounding areas? We can help. Contact us at (888) 302-3669 today to learn more.