Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyers
Large Truck Accidents in Jefferson & Shelby Counties
Any car accident can result in severe, life-changing injuries, but collisions with semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other large commercial vehicles tend to be particularly devastating. Tragically, large truck accidents are often deadly and, even when victims survive, they are likely to suffer catastrophic injuries, permanent disabilities, and lifelong physical, emotional, and financial challenges.
At Mike Slocumb Law Firm, we provide aggressive legal representation to those involved in large truck accidents, as well as the surviving family members of fatal truck accident victims. From our office in Birmingham, we serve clients throughout Jefferson County, Shelby County, and all of the surrounding areas. Our team has successfully secured more than $500 million in compensation for the injured; if you or someone you love was involved in a large truck accident in Birmingham or nearby, we are ready to fight for you and the maximum compensation you deserve.
Call us today at (205) 236-2502 or contact us online to request a free initial consultation.
How Do Large Truck Accidents Happen?
Negligence is the most common cause of motor vehicle accidents, including most commercial vehicle accidents. Sometimes, truck driver error and carelessness is the cause; other times, third-party negligence plays a significant role in large truck accidents.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of truck accidents in Alabama and nationwide include:
- Distracted driving, including texting/using a cellphone, eating or drinking, looking at a GPS or navigational system, and general inattention
- Traffic law violations, such as speeding, running red lights or stop signs, making illegal turns, failing to yield the right of way, and aggressive driving
- Failure to comply with state and/or federal hours-of-service regulations, leading to fatigued/drowsy driving
- Trucking company negligence, including inadequate driver training, pressure to meet unrealistic quotas or deadlines, and failure to penalize drivers who violate regulations
- Failure to conduct routine truck inspections or performing inadequate maintenance and/or repairs on trucks or truck parts
- Issues with cargo loading, including overloaded trucks that exceed maximum weight restrictions and improperly loaded cargo that shifts during transit
- Truck defects, including tire blowouts, missing reflective strips, faulty brakes, defective engine components, and defective tractor and/or trailer design
Our Birmingham truck accident attorneys work with accident reconstructionists, economists, medical professionals, and other experts who help us review what happened, what factors contributed to the crash, and who is liable for your damages. We evaluate electronic data (black box recordings), available security camera footage, witness reports, and other relevant evidence to build powerful cases on behalf of our clients.
In every case, our goal is to successfully protect your rights against the best interests of the trucking company, insurance carrier, or another liable party. We want to help you recover every penny you are owed so that you can get back on your feet and move forward with your life.
I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life.
“I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life. David and Mike were like Angels to me. I didn’t know if I would ever walk again.”
Mr. Gracie handled my case, he was superb.
“Mr. Gracie is really, really experienced and an exceptional lawyer.”
I Couldn't Have Been Happier
“My case was actually settled earlier than projected and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome.”
“I dealt with Lowell Moore here and I’ll recommend him to anyone, anytime! The defining factor was his communication... I was able to always deal with Lowell firsthand about any questions or concerns I had.”
“Attorney Lowell Moore was awesome in the whole process! He kept us included in every move made for our accident/injury case. Never had an issue with communication and he really showed us he cares about his clients!!!”
It is impossible to determine exactly how much your truck accident claim may be worth without first reviewing the specific details involved.
Many factors influence the overall value of your case, including but not limited to:
- The nature and severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The projected cost of future medical care
- The value of your lost income, wages, and benefits
- The projected value of future lost earnings
- Whether or not your injuries are permanent/disabling
- The extent of your physical and mental pain and suffering
- Your ability to return to work or obtain new gainful employment
- Your degree of fault in causing the accident (if any)
Your recovery may also depend on available insurance coverage, either provided by your own auto insurance company, the trucking company’s insurance carrier, or another party.
Although we cannot say for sure how much money you can expect to receive, we can assure you that we will do everything possible to maximize your settlement. If the insurance company refuses to play fair, our Birmingham truck accident lawyers are fully prepared to go to court and aggressively pursue a fair verdict on your behalf.
Depending on the situation, we typically help our truck accident clients seek financial compensation for the following types of damages:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Past, current, and future lost wages, income, and benefits
- Past, current, and future pain and suffering
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional distress and disfigurement
- Miscellaneous expenses related to the accident/injuries
In some cases, we may be able to pursue punitive (or “exemplary”) damages, which are meant to punish the defendant for gross negligence or misconduct. No matter the details of your situation, you can count on our legal team to review every possible source of compensation and work tirelessly to recover every penny you deserve.
We know just how devastating large truck accidents are for victims and their families. When you put Mike Slocumb Law Firm by your side, you get a trusted and dedicated advocate who will stop at nothing to help you get the justice you are owed.
We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees. This means that you pay nothing upfront, and we do not collect any legal fees or litigation-related expenses unless we secure a settlement or verdict for you.
Get in touch with us today by calling (205) 236-2502 or by contacting us online. Hablamos español.