Who Pays for Car Accident Compensation?


Our law firm fights for you

car accident can change your life in many ways. In just seconds, you can be seriously hurt. Your injuries may require extensive, costly medical treatment. You may be unable to return to work. You are trying to get your life back on track with rising medical expenses while you are losing income. You deserve compensation, but the process for getting it is confusing.

You need an experienced Alabama car accident attorney who knows the laws and knows how to deal with insurance companies to maximize compensation. The attorneys at Mike Slocumb Law Firm can help you cut through the confusion and get results. We focus on helping clients get the help they need so they can get back on their feet.

Getting Car Accident Compensation

Alabama is a “fault” car insurance state. The person who is at fault for the accident is generally considered responsible for paying the damages. All drivers in the state are required to buy car insurance with policies that carry minimum liability limits of:

  • $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more persons
  • $25,000 for damage or destruction of property.

But higher liability limits are recommended, as damages can easily exceed these amounts in a serious car accident. Other types of coverage are optional, but can help pay for the costs of damages. For example, collision coverage can help pay for repairs to your car, or for a replacement if it is beyond repair. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) is another type of optional coverage, which allows you file a claim for damages with your own insurance company if you are injured in an accident caused by a driver with no insurance or too little insurance.

“What Are My Options?”

You’ve been in accident. What are your options for recovering compensation? You basically have three choices:

You Can File a Claim With Your Insurance Company.

If you were at fault for the accident, your insurance company would pay for damages. If the other driver was at fault, your insurance company would pay for damages then seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. This is a process called subrogation.

You Can File a Claim With the At-Fault Driver’s Insurance Company.

But keep in mind that the insurance company is not interested in paying you fair compensation. The insurance company wants to settle your claim quickly and cheaply. We know the games insurance companies play and will fight to negotiate a better settlement offer.

You Can File a Lawsuit Against the At-Fault Driver.

The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in Alabama is 2 years from the date of the accident. The insurance company will represent the driver’s interests in court. They are likely to try to prove that you were partially responsible for your accident. That’s because Alabama is a contributory negligence state. If you are found even one percent responsible for the accident, you are not eligible to be awarded damages under state law. That’s why our attorneys take the time to build a strong case and fight to prove the other driver was 100 percent at fault.

If you’ve been injured in an Alabama car accident, get Mike Slocumb Law Firm on your side. Contact us to come in for a free case evaluation. We’ll go over your legal options for compensation. If we take your case, you owe us nothing unless we recover damages for you.