"Who Do I Call After an Auto Accident?"
Attorney Mike Slocumb and His Team. We Get Results. Period.
The attorneys at Mike Slocumb Law Firm represent people injured in car accidents and families who lost loved ones on roads and highways. We know that injuries from car accidents can change lives in so many ways. A car wreck can affect you physically as well as emotionally. The expenses can add up in no time. The insurance companies can create confusion and frustration.
When so much is at stake, it's critical to hire an experienced car accident lawyer who understands the laws and who is familiar with the tactics the insurance companies take. We fight to give car accident victims back their lives. Our firm investigates the causes and factors that lead to accidents to establish responsibility, so that when the insurance companies call you, you will be fully prepared to handle things. We will work with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case to make sure all your needs are handled quickly and appropriately. You don't have to be confused about what to do after a car accident: Put Slocumb Law Firm on your side.
Where Were You Injured?
Visit the following sections for more information. If your accident happened in another location, we want to hear what happened. Fill out the contact form on this page.
- Auburn, AL
- Mobile, AL
- Birmingham, AL
- Montgomery, AL
- Huntsville, AL
- Baltimore, MD
- Washington, DC
- Columbus, GA
A car crash can be frightening, but you can get back on track with Mike Slocumb Law Firm
Without question, an automobile accident is a terrible event to go through. The accident can disrupt your life in many ways. We are familiar with the top injuries in car accidents, including neck and back injuries, broken bones and spinal cord injuries leading to paralysis.
We know that many of the accidents happen because of negligence. Some other driver made a careless or reckless choice - and now you're dealing with the consequences. If you or someone you love has been hurt due to negligent driver behavior, such as drunk driving or texting while driving, this is no time to leave your future to chance.
Some of the cases we handle involve:
- Rear-End Accident
- Head-On Collision
- T-Bone/Broadside Accident
- Drunk Driving Crashes
- Distracted Driving Accidents
Accidents sometimes happen because of the negligence of corporations. It's not just other drivers. Slocumb Law Firm will represent you if you've been in accidents, collisions or crashes due to defective products on design in automobiles or trucks, such as defective tires or seatbelts.
We take all accidents seriously. Big or small, your accident is important, and we will fight for you to help you get back on your feet. Even a minor accident like a rear-end collision may result in thousands of dollars or repairs or medical bills.
Insurance companies know who we are
You might be tempted to "go it alone" and handle the insurance claim without representation. You may be making a mistake. You may be doing exactly what the insurance company hopes you will do. Insurance companies don't want car accident attorneys to get involved. The insurance companies know they may have to pay out more money when an accident victim has an attorney from the Mike Slocumb Law Firm working on their behalf. We know how to maximize compensation for our clients. We often get top dollar for a claim because we simply work extremely hard for our clients.
We conduct a comprehensive investigation that may include the help of outside experts. We gather evidence and interview witnesses. We pore over police reports, examine medical records and sift through the statutes. Our tireless efforts typically result in the results clients need to pay for their medical bills, recover their lost wages and other damages.
While many cases settle, we prepare a client's case from the beginning as if there will be a lawsuit filed and the case will go to court.
How will I get my medical bills paid?
One of the biggest questions every accident victim has is: how do I get my medical bills paid? We can cover those details for you, so you can focus on your recovery. We may be able to make a claim against your own insurance company to cover your bills while your case is pending. Generally, once the case is settled you can pay the bills, but your own auto insurance policy may cover those expenses as they are incurred. Your health insurance policy also may be a source you can turn to.
No two accidents are alike. Different insurance issues may arise, depending on the circumstances. For example, you may be in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. In Alabama, these accidents are fairly common, because nearly 20 percent of drivers in the state are uninsured, according to the Insurance Research Council.
This doesn't necessarily mean you won't get compensated for your injuries. You may be able to make a claim against your own insurance company policy if you carry uninsured motorist coverage.
We recommend you carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Having adequate insurance coverage is essential. If you are not sure whether your policy has you protected, call us and we will review the policy.
Because accidents can become complex, you should not hesitate to speak with the Mike Slocumb Law Firm about your car wreck. We will listen to you and discuss your options. We want to help you and make sure your rights are fully protected.
Help! I've been in a car wreck and I don't know what to do
Many people drive every day to work, to pick up their kids, or to run errands and figure car wrecks are things that happen to other people. But according to insurance company estimates, the average driver is involved in a car accident about once every 18 years. So, if you received your driver's license when you were a teenager and you expect to be driving into your 80s or longer, chances are you will have three or four accidents in your lifetime.
When you're in an accident, you want to be prepared to take steps to protect your health - and your rights. As a special service, Mike Slocumb Law Firm has created the following list of tips to follow if you are involved in a crash:
- Keep a cool head to stay in control and take the appropriate steps.
- Check if everyone in your vehicle is OK. If you are able to do so, see if people in the other vehicle are OK.
- Call 911 or the appropriate emergency number to report your accident. Tell the authorities if anyone is injured. Even if you believe the accident is minor and no one is injured, you will want police to respond so you can have an official report if questions about who was at fault come up later.
- Let a medical professional examine you, even if you don't think you are injured. Accidents can get your adrenaline going, which may cover up any symptoms of a serious injury.
- Don't discuss fault with anyone at the scene. Only discuss the accident with police. You can offer police information such as your name and insurance company, but don't admit fault to them, either.
- Use your cell phone or a camera to take photographs of the scene, including damage to the vehicles, skid marks (if any), and your injuries.
- Gather names, addresses, and phone numbers from the people involved in the accident as well as any witnesses. Police may or may not get this information, which is why it's a good idea to take care of this yourself.
- Take notes. Write down names and contact information as well as weather conditions, how the accident occurred, and whether any vehicles were towed. Simply write down as much information as possible, even if you're not sure whether it's important. The more details you have, the stronger your accident claim will be.
- Make a note if someone takes blame for the crash. Did anyone apologize or say they were distracted by a text message or something else? Such statements may be used as evidence later if you are pursuing a claim.