PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS WHO KNOW HOW TO WIN
Call the law firm with the experience that gets results
Accidents happen every day that leave people hurt. These types of injuries can affect people physically, emotionally and financially. Suddenly, they are faced with medical expenses. They may be unable to work or to take part in their usual activities. When the negligence of another caused the accident, they should not have to pay. Mike Slocumb Law Firm can help.
Recovering financial compensation after a personal injury accident can be complicated. The party who was negligent will likely deny responsibility. And insurance companies don’t want to pay you anything. They have lawyers who will fight for their best interests and try to deny you the compensation you need and deserve.
That’s why you need a personal injury lawyer to fight for your rights. One who has the experience that gets results. Mike Slocumb founded his law firm to stand up for accident victims. He fights for justice in cases involving:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Dog bites
You may be told that you don’t need a lawyer for your accident. Insurance companies would love for you to deal with them directly, without representation. That makes it easier for them to take advantage of you. They may question the extent of your injuries. Or they may make you an offer that doesn’t even come close to covering all the damages you suffered, saying it’s the best they can do.
Don’t believe them. We know the games insurance companies play. Our legal team builds strong cases that prove you were the victim of another’s negligence. We present a case to the insurance company that they have to take seriously. This often convinces them to enter settlement negotiations. But if they won’t agree to a settlement that meets your needs, we can fight for you in court.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PERSONAL INJURY CASE?
If someone’s negligence or intentional actions cause you to suffer injury or harm, then you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party to recover compensation for your damages. Depending on the specific details of your case, you may be entitled to compensation for your current and future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, replacement services, pain and suffering, and other damages.
IS IT WORTH HIRING A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY?
It’s been shown that those who hire a personal injury attorney to represent them receive more on average in compensation compared to those who don’t. Circumstances that may require the legal knowledge of a personal injury lawyer include:
- Someone’s negligence caused you or a loved one to sustain a serious injury.
- You or someone you love suffered a debilitating or permanent injury in an accident.
- You need someone to investigate your accident and build a case that proves liability.
- You need help negotiating for fair compensation with the insurance company.
- You received a cash settlement offer from the insurance company and you’re not sure if it’s fair.
- The insurance company has challenged or denied your claim.
- Someone you love died in an accident due to negligence and you want to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS IN A PERSONAL INJURY LAWSUIT?
If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else, you may want to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for your damages. The step-by-step process begins when you let a personal injury attorney review the details of your case during a free consultation. After that, the next steps are:
- Filing paperwork with the court – A complaint and other necessary documents will be filed with the court. The party you are suing will be listed as the defendant and you will be listed as the plaintiff. The complaint will go into detail about your accident and injuries and state why the defendant is legally responsible for your damages.
- Discovery – Once the defendant answers your complaint and files the necessary paperwork, the formal process of exchanging evidence begins. During this process, your attorney will send a list of questions to the defendant and may also request certain documents. Both you (the plaintiff) and the defendant may be asked to give sworn statements. Your attorney may also consult with medical experts and/or accident reconstruction experts to offer their expert opinion on certain aspects of your case.
- Pretrial motions – Many times, the lawyer representing the defendant will file a motion to dismiss your lawsuit, often due to a lack of evidence. Your attorney may also file a motion for a summary judgment, which essentially means the evidence supporting your complaint is so strong that the judge should immediately rule in your favor.
- Settlement negotiations – If your case is not dismissed and if the judge does not grant you a summary judgment, then it’s common for your attorney and the lawyer representing the defendant to enter into settlement negotiations to resolve your case before it goes to trial. If the two sides cannot agree on compensation, then a mediator may be brought in to help the two sides reach an agreement. If a settlement is reached, your lawyer will begin the process of collecting your compensation.
- The Trial – If an agreement can’t be reached during settlement negotiations, then your personal injury lawsuit will go to court where a jury will determine whether or not the defendant is legally responsible for paying your damages, and if so, how much compensation you will be awarded.
- Post-trial – If the jury rules in your favor, your attorney will begin the process of collecting your compensation. The defendant also has the option of appealing the jury’s decision and may file an appeal with a higher court. If an appeal is filed, a settlement agreement can still be reached before the case goes to trial again.
WHY SETTLE A LAWSUIT INSTEAD OF FIGHT?
Sometimes reaching a settlement agreement is better than taking your case to court and filing a lawsuit. Going to trial can be a lengthy process, and in the end, a jury will decide whether or not you deserve compensation for your damages. With a settlement, your case does not go to trial and you receive the agreed upon amount in compensation. The process is much quicker, which is just one reason why many lawsuits are settled before they go to trial.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SETTLEMENT FOR A PERSONAL INJURY?
There is no set dollar amount. The amount of compensation you receive in a settlement for a personal injury claim will depend on the specific details of your case, including the extent of your injuries. Generally speaking, your settlement may include compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, replacement services, pain and suffering, and other damages.
QUESTIONS TO ASK A LAWYER BEFORE HIRING?
Before you hire an attorney to represent you, it’s critical that you ask some questions to determine whether or not that lawyer is a good fit for your case. Questions to consider asking an attorney include:
- Do you have experience with these types of cases?
- What will your strategy be for my case?
- What are my legal options aside from going to court?
- What possible outcomes do you see with my case?
- Who is going to handle my case and how do I ask them questions?
- What do I need to do to help you build a strong case?
- What are your fees and how much will it cost me to hire you as my lawyer?
HOW MUCH DO ACCIDENT LAWYERS CHARGE?
Most personal injury attorneys work for their clients on a contingency fee basis, which means there are no upfront costs and you pay nothing unless a financial recovery is made in your case. If your attorney does make a financial recovery, their fees will be taken as a percentage of your compensation. Fees vary from law firm to law firm, but the industry standard is typically anywhere from 25-40 percent.
HOW MUCH DO CLIENTS PAY THEIR ATTORNEYS FOR PERSONAL INJURY CASES IF THEY LOSE?
Most personal injury law firms represent their clients on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay nothing unless they make a financial recovery in your case.
At the Mike Slocumb Law Firm, we offer a free case evaluation and work for our clients on a contingency fee basis.
HOW DO I FIND A PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER NEAR ME?
If you were injured due to negligence and want to recover compensation for your damages, you should search for a personal injury lawyer with good client testimonials and proven case results.
At the Mike Slocumb Law Firm, our experienced personal injury attorneys have the knowledge and experience to handle every aspect of your claim and get you the compensation you deserve. We handle cases involving car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, wrongful death, and more. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
WE SERVE CLIENTS IN MANY AREAS
If you were injured near one of these locations, click below to learn more about how we can help. If you hurt in a different location, let us know. We may still be able to help.
How do we build strong cases? We start by getting the facts. Our legal team investigates your accident to find out what really happened. This includes reviewing all relevant documentation and identifying and interviewing witnesses. We may also consult with experts who can help us understand how the accident happened.
We are dedicated to reaching a resolution of your case that meets your needs. This includes compensation for all current and future medical expenses related to your injury, as well as lost wages for the time you were left unable to work. We may also seek other damages, such as pain and suffering.
If you were hurt in an accident, it’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Each state has a statute of limitations for taking legal action – for example, in Alabama it is two years. That may sound like lots of time. But it’s important to start work on your case before evidence is lost or disappears, and while the memories of witnesses are still fresh.