Washington D.C. Wrongful Death Lawyers
Handling Wrongful Death Cases Throughout D.C.
Experiencing the loss of a loved one is an incredibly painful ordeal, and the anguish can be compounded when their death is caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of others. If you have suffered such a loss, you may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Wrongful death cases are often complex, with high financial stakes. Therefore, it is crucial to seek the assistance of a skilled wrongful death lawyer who can effectively handle your case. At the Mike Slocumb Law Firm in Washington D.C., our wrongful death attorneys possess the necessary expertise and compassion to support you throughout the legal process.
We are dedicated to helping you hold the responsible party accountable and securing the settlement that your family deserves. Call us today!
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death can occur in various situations, but some causes are more prevalent than others, including:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car, motorcycle, and truck collisions are a leading cause of wrongful death in the United States. Factors such as negligent driving, drunk driving, speeding, and distracted driving contribute to fatal accidents.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical errors like misdiagnosis, surgical mistakes, and medication errors can lead to fatal outcomes. Healthcare providers have a duty to provide adequate care, and when they fail to do so, they can be held liable for the resulting harm.
- Workplace Accidents: Industries such as construction and manufacturing pose significant risks to workers, with potential for injury or death. Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe work environment and proper training, and failure to do so can result in fatal accidents.
- Defective Products: Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers can be legally responsible for injuries or deaths caused by their defective products. Examples include faulty machinery, defective medical devices, and hazardous consumer products.
- Premises Liability: Property owners are obligated to maintain safe premises for visitors. If they fail in this duty, they can be held responsible for injuries or deaths that occur on their property.
If you have lost a loved one due to any of these causes or other circumstances not listed, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim. Contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Washington D.C. to explore your legal options.
Call (334) 219-3906 today to begin the process.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
In Alabama, only the personal representative of the deceased person's estate is authorized to file a wrongful death lawsuit. This representative is responsible for pursuing the claim on behalf of the deceased person's heirs.
Washington D.C.'s Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations
In Washington, D.C., the statute of limitations for such claims is two years from the time of the individual's passing to pursue legal recourse for wrongful death. Failure to file within this time frame will result in the deceased's representative forfeiting the opportunity to file the case at all.
Do not wait until it's too late - reach out to our team to ensure that you file your wrongful death claim within Washington D.C.'s statute of limitations.
How Can an Attorney Assist With My Wrongful Death Case?
Losing a loved one is a traumatic experience, and dealing with the aftermath of a wrongful death can be overwhelming. An experienced wrongful death attorney in Washington D.C. can guide you through the legal process and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Here are some of the ways an attorney can support your case:
- Investigation: A skilled attorney will conduct a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your loved one's death to determine liability. They will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and consult with experts to build a strong case.
- Legal Guidance: Wrongful death lawsuits are complex and require a deep understanding of the law. An attorney can explain your legal options, provide advice on the best course
- of action, and represent your interests throughout the litigation process.
- Negotiation: Many wrongful death cases are resolved through negotiations with the responsible parties outside of court. An attorney can negotiate on your behalf to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available for your loss.
- Trial Advocacy: If a settlement cannot be reached, your case may proceed to trial. An experienced trial attorney can present a compelling case to the jury and fight for your rights in court.
- Emotional Support: Coping with the loss of a loved one is a challenging process, and an attorney can provide emotional support and guidance throughout the legal proceedings.
Let us assist you in holding the responsible parties accountable for your loved one's death.
I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life.
“I thank Mike Slocumb so much for changing my life. David and Mike were like Angels to me. I didn’t know if I would ever walk again.”
Mr. Gracie handled my case, he was superb.
“Mr. Gracie is really, really experienced and an exceptional lawyer.”
I Couldn't Have Been Happier
“My case was actually settled earlier than projected and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome.”
“I dealt with Lowell Moore here and I’ll recommend him to anyone, anytime! The defining factor was his communication... I was able to always deal with Lowell firsthand about any questions or concerns I had.”
“Attorney Lowell Moore was awesome in the whole process! He kept us included in every move made for our accident/injury case. Never had an issue with communication and he really showed us he cares about his clients!!!”